A priory was founded here in the 8th century, attracting a population of peasants, craftsmen and tradesmen and the village prospered as a port of call for pilgrims on the route to Compostella via Rocamadour. In the 14th century, after the wars of religion, the village expanded with new houses built by nobles associated with the powerful viscount of Turenne. After 1738 it started to fall into disrepair, when Turenne was sold to Louis XV to settle gambling debts. Worse was to come during the Revolution. The village became a stone quarry until the beginning of the 20th century when a society was formed to preserve and restore it.
Among the beautiful houses are La maison de la Sirène, now the home of the society who restored the village. This house was owned by Henry de Jouvenel, one of the husbands of Colette, the writer. Also notable is the château de Vassignac (14th and 16th century) whose owners were governors and captains of the château of Turenne.
The church of St Pierre, started in the 11th century and fortified during the 15th century wars of religion, stands in the main square. It has an interesting white stone tympanum over the porch and two naves, constructed so that Protestants and Catholics could conduct their services simultaneously and peaceably.
In the square, the covered market hall still retains its old-fashioned bread oven.
Location: In the south of the department of Correze.