Situated in the extreme north-east of Lot, close to the border between Lot and Cantal, Sousceyrac is a typical rustic village of the foothills of the massif central and bears no resemblance to the Quercynoise towns and villages of Lot. It is not necessarily worth a trip in its own right, but a very good lunch could be combined with a mushroom hunting trip into the massif. The acid soils of the Ségala, the uplands of the department of Lot, support chestnut trees and mushrooms in abundance.
There are some small shops and couple of restaurants in the village including the hotel/restaurant Au dejeuner de Sousceyrac with its one-star Michelin rating.
There is evidence of a Roman villa on the mound of the chateau. Later Sousceyrac grew as an ecclesiastical village in the 9th and 10th centuries, around the church of St. Martin. The town was probably sold in the ninth century by the abbey of Figeac to the lords of Calmon d'Olt in exchange for protection. The church belonged to the abbey of Figeac, then after 1351 to Maurs. The chateau was built on the mound west of the town that was developing inside the medieval walls which had four fortified round towers.
In the 13th century the town passed to the barons of Castelnau, then to the Dukes of Luynes.
Sousceyrac did not escape the suffering brought about by the Hundred Years War in Quercy. The castle was attacked several times by the Grand Companies, but resisted. However, the Roman church was destroyed. After the war it was necessary to appeal to farmers outside of the area to come and cultivate the land. During the wars of religion (1570-1590) the town became Protestant until the Edict of Nantes. The church was then ransacked. Again, in 1792, the church was targeted and the priests forced into exile or hiding, the castle was abandoned and the ramparts dismantled. In the 19th century the Ursuline convent (since 1966, a retirement home) was built on the ruins of the castle.